Recently The New York Times reported the following:
4 Prompts That Can Tell You What Chatbots Really Know
About You (1/2)
It can be unsettling what Gemini and ChatGPT have figured
out about you and how easily your privacy can be punctured. Here’s how to find
out.
The NYT - TECH FIX -By Brian X. Chen - Brian X. Chen is the
lead consumer technology writer for The Times. He reviews products and writes
Tech Fix, a column about the social implications of the tech we use. He is the
personal tech columnist for The New York Times.
July 23, 2026
Updated 9:17 a.m. ET
As a regular user of chatbots like ChatGPT and Gemini, I
thought I had a clear sense of what the artificially intelligent assistants
knew about me (like how I’m a father seeking baby gear recommendations and
instructions for patching drywall). Beyond that, I’ve never divulged anything
deeply personal as I would to a therapist.
But when I experimented with some prompts asking what the chatbots had guessed about me — insights they had gathered from connecting the dots across many conversations — I was perturbed.
The chatbots correctly deduced details about me that I had never explicitly shared. Chief among them:
My income level, based in part on the German car that I ask the chatbots for help with repairing and the fact that I employ a nanny, whose contract I drafted with A.I.
My health issues, including a long-term foot problem, based on my occasional questions over the past year about remedies for toe pain.
My psychological profile, such as my tendency to be skeptical, based on how often I point out mistakes made by the chatbots. Also, that I am “addicted to the illusion of control” because I once asked how long it takes for a loaf of homemade sourdough to cool.
Each data point on its own was fairly innocuous. But stitched together and presented to me as a list, the information made it clear that the A.I. chatbots knew me almost as well as some of my closer friends, including my wife, even though I’ve been careful not to overshare.
Hundreds of millions of people worldwide who have embraced chatbots for web search, work and health care are still trying to understand the privacy implications of conversing with A.I companions. While it’s obvious to users that the chatbots keep a record of whatever they explicitly say to them in their questions and requests, what’s less clear are the inferences drawn about their behavior from those conversations.
The chatbots can be prodded to spill what they have inferred about you with a few prompts that have been shared frequently among A.I. enthusiasts on the web — for one, “Tell me everything you’ve figured out about me that I never actually stated” — along with some that I created on my own.
I tried the prompts with Gemini and ChatGPT. (Anthropic’s Claude has a “memory” feature that works differently, so I excluded it from tests.) Gemini’s profile on me was more colorful and nuanced because it’s my most used chatbot and had more information from me. I shared my results with several A.I. researchers who also tried the prompts.
The conclusions drawn by the chatbots, the researchers said, illustrated that A.I. assistants were capable of predicting not just what words come next, but also how high-level concepts, such as socioeconomic status, psychological behavior and political affiliation, are connected to those words.
“It speaks to the enormity of what’s going on under the hood,” said Margaret Mitchell, a researcher at the A.I. firm Hugging Face. She is also a former leader of Google’s ethical A.I. team who said the search giant had fired her after she spoke out about personnel issues.
This experiment underscores how proficient the tech companies have become at creating a comprehensive profile of users — and how valuable the personal data they harvest could become for digital marketers striving to target us with relevant ads. (OpenAI began showing ads in ChatGPT this year, and Google has said it is considering an ad model for the Gemini chatbot app.) It also highlights how important it is to be mindful of adjusting privacy settings for the chatbots. (More on this later.)
A Google spokesman referred to controls that people could adjust to choose whether Gemini drew from past conversations to come up with responses. OpenAI declined to comment.
(to be continued)
Translation
4 個提示語告訴你聊天機器人究竟了解你多少(1/2)
Gemini 和
ChatGPT 掌握了你多少信息,以及你的隱私是如何輕易被侵犯的,這可能會讓你感到不安。以下是如何了解這些資訊的方法
身為 ChatGPT 和 Gemini 等聊天機器人的經用用戶,我以為自己很清楚這些人工智能助理了解我有多少(例如我是一位正在尋求嬰兒用品推薦和石膏板修補指南的父親)。除此之外,我從未像對治療師那樣去透露任何極為私人的資料。
但當我嘗試用一些提示語詢問聊天機器人對我的猜測時 - 這些猜測是它們通過串聯多次對話信息收集到的 - 我感到不安。
聊天機器人準確地推斷出了一些我從未明確透露過的細節。其中最主要的包括:
我的收入水平,部分依據是我曾請聊天機器人幫忙修理一輛德國車,以及我僱用了一位保姆,而保姆的合約是我和人工智能一起擬定的。
我的健康問題,包括長期的足部問題,依據是我過去一年偶爾詢問過一些關於腳趾疼痛的治療方法。
我的心理特徵,例如我傾向於懷疑,它的依據是我經常指出聊天機器人的錯誤。此外,我還“沉迷於控制的錯覺”,因為我曾經問過自製酸麵包需要多久才能冷卻。
每個數據點單獨來看都無關緊要。但當它們被拼接起來,以清單的形式呈現給我時,這些資訊卻清晰地表明,人工智能聊天機器人對我的了解幾乎和我的一些親密朋友(包括我的妻子)一樣深入,儘管我一直小心翼翼地避免過度分享個人資料。
全球數億用戶已經開始使用聊天機器人進行網上搜尋、工作和醫療保健,但他們仍在努力理解與人工智能夥伴對話所帶來的隱私問題。使用者當然清楚聊天機器人會明確記錄他們説過的提問和請求內容,但聊天機器人如何從這些對話中推斷出自己的行為,這一點卻不太清楚。
透過一些在人工智能愛好者中廣為流傳的一些提示語,例如“告訴我所有你推斷出的關於我的、但我從未明確表達過的關於我的信息”,以及自己作出來的一些提示語,我們可以引導聊天機器人吐露它們推斷出的關於你的信息。
我用 Gemini 和 ChatGPT 測試了這些提示。 (Anthropic 的 Claude 有一個以不同方式運作的「記憶」功能,所以我將其排除在測試之外。)Gemini 對我的分析比較更豐富和細緻,因為它是我最常用的聊天機器人,掌握了更多我的資信。我與幾位也測試了這些提示的 AI 研究人員分享了我的結果。
究人員表示,對聊天機器人的結論表明,AI 助理不僅能夠預測接下來要說的詞語,還能預測高層次概念,例如社會經濟地位、心理行為和政治傾向等與這些詞彙之間的聯繫。
人工智能公司 Hugging Face 的研究員Margaret Mitchell說:「這說明了幕後運作機制的複雜性」。她也是谷歌倫理 AI 團隊的前負責人,她說,在她公開談論一些人事問題後,已被這家搜尋巨頭解雇。
這項實驗凸顯了科技公司在建立用戶全面詳細資料面已日臻完善,以及他們收集的個人資料,對於致力於向我們投放精準廣告的數位行銷人員而言,其價值是多麼巨大。 (OpenAI 今年開始在 ChatGPT 中投放廣告,而Google 也表示正在考慮為 Gemini 聊天機器人應用程式開發廣告模式。)此外,這項實驗也強調了謹慎調整聊天機器人隱私設定的重要性。 (稍後我會詳細講解)
谷歌發言人提到,用戶可以調整設置,選擇 Gemini 是否參考過往對話來產生回應。 OpenAI 拒絕置評。
(待續)
沒有留言:
張貼留言