2019年2月25日 星期一

My visit to Tokyo 2018 (17)

Waseda Metro Station


On the 31st I visited the Waseda University by Metro in the morning.  From the station I needed to walk for about five minutes before reaching the university. On campus one could see two big statutes. One was the principle of the university 大隈英麿(Hidemaro Ōkumawho was standing,  he was the principal of the university from 1882–1886. The other was 高田早苗(Sanae Takata who was sitting, he was the de facto presidents from 1907 to 1915





Hidemaru Okuma
Sanae Takata








When I looked for the direction of cafeteria I tried to seek help by stopping a female student who was walking by. After telling her my intention, she was so kind as to lead me to the cafeteria. She came from mainland China and could speak very good Japanese as well as English. Through our conversation in Mandarin, English and Japanese, I knew that she was from a middle-class family in Beijing of China. She was smart and articulate and had picked up the local Japanese manner well as indicated by her deep bowing when we said good-bye.
Waseda helps student to get jobs
About the job opportunity of Waseda graduates in applying for government jobs, a NHK news report dated 25.6.2012 attached below could give us a hint. It was translated into English by me, please see my blog dated 3rd July 2012.
人事院は25日、2012年度の国家公務員総合職試験の合格者1326人を発表した。応募者は2万3881人で、倍率は18倍だった。  
総合職試験は、いわゆるキャリア官僚を選抜してきた国家公務員1種試験に代わり、今年初めて実施された。女性合格者の割合は23・1%で、1種試験を通じて過去最高となった。  
合格者数を大学別に見ると、最も多かったのは東大の410人。以下、京大116人、早大99人――の順だった。  
総合職試験の応募者は、11年度実施の1種試験と比べ13%減(3686人減)となった。合格者のうち採用予定者数は517人で、同8%減(45人減)となる。 20126251650 読売新聞)
In essence, in the 2012 civil servant recruitment, Waseda graduates ranked third in passing the examination.
The cafeteria
The cafeteria was relatively big with windows at one side. Some tables were designated as speed seat so that users should not use the tables for too long during the lunch rush hours (for example to use the table for studying while eating). I enjoyed my lunch which included a rice dish and a bowl of miso-soup. The soup here was not as good taste as the one I enjoyed in Tokyo University’s cafeteria.
Immediately outside the south entry of the university was a street full of small restaurants and food shops. There was also a second-hand book store. Further down the road I found a Hong Kong style restaurant. The name of the restaurant in Chinese was 香港華記米線, literally it means Hong Kong Wah Kee Rice Noodle. What attracted by attention was the egg-tarts on display at the counter.
South Gate of Waseda University
Hong Kong Wah Kee Rice Noodle
Egg-tarts

沒有留言:

張貼留言