2010年7月4日 星期日

English is getting modern

Recently I learn about the difference between the following two sentences:

(a) He hasn't any ideas.
(b) He doesn't have any ideas.

According to Geoffrey Leech and others, sentence (a) is an old way of asking a question while (b) is more common these days. That means both sentences are correct grammatically. As indicated in sentence (b), nowadays people prefer using the the word 'do' (grammatically called 'operator') by putting it before 'have' to form a question. They also explain that 'operator' in grammar is the first auxiliary verb in a finite verb phrase.

When I started learning English many years ago, I was taught to use sentence (a). In order to be in fashion, I think I should start using sentence (b). Time has changed, so does grammar in English.

Reference:
1. Geoffrey Leech et al . An A-Z of English Grammar & Usage. Longman, 2001.
2. Geoffrey Leech et al. English Grammar for To-day. Palgrave Macmillan, 2006.

沒有留言:

張貼留言