2020年5月26日 星期二

My visit to Japan 2020 – Hiroshima (5)

On the 8th March I received an e-mail from my air-line company saying that my air ticket to depart from Japan was cancelled due to Covid-19. It offered me two options: a) to wait in Hiroshima until early April hoping that the new virus in Japan would be over by then, or b) to get a refund. Obviously, I could not stay in Japan for such a long time. To say the least, my Airbnb accommodation booking would not allow me to do so as it would end on 15th. My only option was to buy an air-ticket in Japan by myself. The next day I tried to contact a local traveling agency in Hiroshima and found the JTB. To my astonishment JTB was a travel agent that only sold ANA airline tickets. The staff of JTB even said that ANA flight schedules to Hong Kong were very limited, probably due to the new virus in Japan. They recommended me to try another local travelling agent, the HIS.
I bought my air ticket from HIS
On the 9th I visited the of office of HIS in Hiroshima to buy a single trip ticket from Japan to Hong Kong. I wanted to leave Japan as early as possible in order to avoid a quarantine in Hong Kong. Hong Kong Government had announced that very soon all incoming visitors to Hong Kong would be subjected to a 14-day quarantine. The staff in HIS was very helpful and suggested me to buy the Cathay Pacific air-ticket. I agreed and it took about 2 hours for me to finish the ticket buying process. My found that it was a new experience for the HST staff to receive a client like me. It was a rare case for a foreigner to buy a single trip ticket in such relatively small town like Hiroshima. The paper work was done very slowly. There were many reasons, for example, the staff had to spend some time to sort out how to position my first name and last name (as indicated in my passport) into my ticket buying documents which was designed for the Japanese clients. This air-ticket buying experience reminded my Japanese language learning experience in my university days.

I learned Japanese in the University of British Columbia (UBC). In the classroom in those days, often there were group learning scenarios in which students had to do role playing. The setting of one scenario was inside a travelling company and the students had to play the role of a customer or a staff. Students had to practice using Japanese vocabularies such as days, months, the city names, the means and purpose of traveling, and the payment amount and method etc. Now, in Hiroshima, all things came into live again and my memories came back to my mind.

At that moment, the Japanese government had already announced that the only airport opened to foreigners were Osaka and Tokyo. Although I wanted to fly back to Hong Kong from Hiroshima where I was staying, I had no choice but to pick Osaka as the departing airport. As such, I had to sort out my trip from Hiroshima to the Osaka International Airport.

One strange thing I noted was about the air ticket price, it could rise suddenly at any time because of the pandemic. The Cathay Pacific single trip air ticket that I bought was 64,000 yen before tax and 70, 100 including tax (about HK$ 6,000). Out of curiosity, I checked the price again the next day on the Internet, it had jumped to about 220,000 yen (about HK$18,000). That was unbelievable.

Bullet train time table from Hiroshima to New Osaka
My airplane would leave Osaka for Hong Kong on the 12th at 6.00 pm. I chose the bullet-train as the means to travel from Hiroshima to Osaka. The average time taken for a bullet train would usually be from 1.30 hours to over two hours, depending how many stops it would make en-route. I picked the fastest one which made only three stops en-route and took 1 hour and 27 minutes. I noted that all the carriages of any one bullet-train had been designed into either reserved seat (指定席) carriage which was more expensive, and the non-reserved seat carriage (自由席) which was cheaper. So, tourists had to wait at the right spot at the platform for the carriage. The waiting spots were clearly marked on the platform floor.


New Osaka in early March
 I arrived at the new Osaka at noon and enjoyed my lunch in a local restaurant. Although new Osaka was a big city, I found that the average price of the food in the restaurants here were not more expensive compared to that in Hiroshima. After lunch I bought a ticket to travel from New Osaka to the Osaka international airport. I returned to Hong Kong after flying for about 4 hours.
My train ticket from New Osaka to the International Airport

The bullet-train has a lot of leg room, big enough I put my luggage

My lunch at New Osaka. It costed me around 1,000 yen, a very reasonable price
Due the pandemic, my trip to Hiroshima was cut short by a few days. At this moment I am still waiting for a refund from my air-line company because they had cancelled my return trip air-ticket.

沒有留言:

張貼留言